On 14/05/2024 18:44, Gordinator via Python-list wrote:
> I wish to write a terminal emulator in Python. I am a fairly competent
> Python user, and I wish to try a new project idea. What references can I
> use when writing my terminal emulator? I wish for it to be a true
> terminal emulator as well, not just a Tk text widget or something like that.

The first thing is to decide which terminal. A VT100 is very different
from a 3270. And even a VT330 is quite different from a VT100 although
sharing a common subset of control codes. And if you start looking at
graphical terminals things get even more interesting!

The other thing to consider is whether it will be a standalone app or
a GUI component. If the latter do you want to expose your own API or
clone the manufacturers? Or both?!
Or you could make it an object that can be used both in GUIs and in
"robotic" or "batch" mode. So many options.

Most of the specs are available online and there must be dozens of
terminal emulators around written in C so you should have plenty
of sample code to study. Good luck!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site