On 2024-05-14, Alan Gauld via Python-list <python-list@python.org> wrote:
> On 14/05/2024 18:44, Gordinator via Python-list wrote:
>
>> I wish to write a terminal emulator in Python. I am a fairly
>> competent Python user, and I wish to try a new project idea. What
>> references can I use when writing my terminal emulator? I wish for
>> it to be a true terminal emulator as well, not just a Tk text
>> widget or something like that.
>
> The first thing is to decide which terminal.

If you want to make life easier, make it a superset of a terminal that
already exists in the terminfo database.

Going with some sort of ANSI terminal will probably provide
operability even with dumb apps which ignore $TERM and just spit out
basic ANSI escape sequences.

If you really want to break trail, you could invent your own control
sequences, which means you'll have to write terminfo and/or termcap
entries as well as the terminal emulator.

> A VT100 is very different from a 3270. And even a VT330 is quite
> different from a VT100 although sharing a common subset of control
> codes. And if you start looking at graphical terminals things get
> even more interesting!

"Intersting" is putting it mildly...