"Sybren Stuvel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Roger L. Cauvin enlightened us with:
>> I'm looking for a regular expression that matches the first, and
>> only the first, sequence of the letter 'a', and only if the length
>> of the sequence is exactly 3.
>
> Your request is ambiguous:
>
> 1) You're looking for the first, and only the first, sequence of the
>   letter 'a'. If the length of this first, and only the first,
>   sequence of the letter 'a' is not 3, no match is made at all.
>
> 2) You're looking for the first, and only the first, sequence of
>   length 3 of the letter 'a'.
>
> What is it?

The first option describes what I want, with the additional restriction that
the "first sequence of the letter 'a'" is defined as 1 or more consecutive
occurrences of the letter 'a', followed directly by the letter 'b'.

--
Roger L. Cauvin
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (omit the "nospam_" part)