My default python version on my Debian 8.5 machine is *3.4.2*. I want to
use python *2.7* for only one project. I have tried running all of the
following commands in the terminal one by one, :

virtualenv -p python2.7 env_dir
virtualenv -p python2 env_dir
virtualenv --python=python2.7 env_dir

And this is the file.py inside the env_dir:

print "Hello world from inside env_dir"

Obviously however the file.py still gets executed with python3.4.2, because
i run:

python file.py

and i get:

      File "file.py", line 1
    print "Hello world from inside env_dir"
                                      ^SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call
to 'print'

What is the problem, why it fails to run the code in python2.7?

*Update*

I have also tried:

virtualenv -p /usr/bin/python2.7 env_dir

source env_dir/bin/activate

(env_dir) amir@amir-debian:~/env_dir$ python file.py
  File "file.py", line 1
    print "Insid virtual env"
                        ^SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'

Running python -V after activating returns: *Python 3.4.2*