Hello Dean,

>I am not a Windows programmer, but have managed to port some Linux codes to the
>python/windows environment.  To allow windows users to print, I used some code
>that needed to know the name of the 'shares' providing printers (there were 2
>of
>them in the environment in which I work).  The code looks in part like:
>
>      import win32print
>      default_printer = win32print.GetDefaultPrinter () # just the default
>
>      for j in range (len (self.share_names)): # <-------must know share names!
>        A = win32print.EnumPrinters (win32print.PRINTER_ENUM_NAME,\
>                                     self.share_names [j], 2)
>        for i in range (len (A)):
>          win_printer = A [i] ['pPrinterName']
>          self.printer_list.append (win_printer)
>
>My question then is, "how does one determine the share names in an arbitrary
>environment - without asking someone, and then coding them (as I've done
>above?)"

try win32print.EnumPrinters(win32print.PRINTER_ENUM_LOCAL,None,2) or
win32print.EnumPrinters(win32print.PRINTER_INFO,None,2) for lokal shares

and
win32print.EnumPrinters(100,None,2) for network shares. Further Infos
look up at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/prntspol_9fjn.asp

Hope this helps,

regards,