Dean Allen Provins wrote:

>I am not a Windows programmer, but have managed to port some Linux codes to the
>python/windows environment.  To allow windows users to print, I used some code
>that needed to know the name of the 'shares' providing printers (there were 2
>of
>them in the environment in which I work)....
>My question then is, "how does one determine the share names in an arbitrary
>environment - without asking someone, and then coding them (as I've done
>above?)"

The generally accepted practice in Windows is to display the standard
print dialog and allow the user to pick the printer he wants.  This
dialog also allows him to customize the attributes of the print job
(paper tray, paper size, duplexing) without requiring you to become an
expert in such things.

Remember that many different kinds of things can act as printers on
Windows: local printers, printers shared as net shares, directly
networked printers, lpr printers,
printer pools, pseudoprinters for faxes and PDF creators, etc.  Your
application should not need or want to know about those details.

--
Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]