Paul Newton wrote:

Thanks for your reply Tim and my apologies - I did not mean to be rude and I take your point.  I made an earlier mistake, my Python version is 2.1.3 not 2.3.1 but I am looking at doing an install using pywin32-200.zip.

You don't really want to build these from source.  It does look like that file is missing, but even if it weren't, that is a project file for Visual Studio 2003.  You almost certainly do not have a copy of Visual Studio 2003 hanging around, and they typically don't build with newer compilers.  Just use the executable installer.

The DSP is present in the 201.1 zip.  I don't know whether that builds for Python 2.1 or not.