Hi.I took a stab at upgrading and "untangling" the documentation. I am willing to work on this documentation
"untangling" project. Before I put more effort into it, I would like to get feedback from Mark and other contributors
on what I'm proposing. If so, I'll log an Issue and/or pull request.Motivation: I need to work with a COM server application and
want to use python. I found it challenging to find documentation and examples. Also, Mark mentioned this in the repo README:
"Lots of that is very old, but some is auto-generated and current. Would love help untangling the docs!"Where: The
current iteration is hosted on my forked repo at Python for Windows Extensions — pywin32 305 documentation
(brian3johnson.github.io). If this effort moves forward, I'll pull it down once it's built and posted from mhammond's repo.How: I
am building the documentation with sphinx Welcome — Sphinx documentation (sphinx-doc.org) to update the narrative docs and
automate or semi-automate the pywin32 API reference. I am using the default theme. I'm using reStructuredText (.rst) for the
docs.What: I included all the existing narrative documentation from the CHM. Most of it remains unformatted, except for a couple
of docs. I added a Home page, Installation, Support, and Resources pages, and the start of a Getting Started Tutorial.Proposed
Next Steps:1. Confirm if I move forward with sphinx. If so, confirm if we use reStructuredText (reStructuredText — Sphinx
documentation (sphinx-doc.org)) or Markdown (Markdown — Sphinx documentation (sphinx-doc.org)) for narrative documents.2. Finish
formatting the existing narrative docs per rst or md.3. Add docstrings to .py source files to generate API docs.4. Convert some
of the "samples" embedded in the source files to "How-tos".I have more ideas and suggestions, which I can
share in an Issue, PR, or on this mailing list.I look forward to hearing what you think.Sincerely,Brian