Moving to a CI system would be good for the project long-term.

Windows VM(s) should suffice short-term, I would have thought with the project
profile that the cloud giants would be amenable to covering the costs.
________________________________
From: python-win32
<python-win32-bounces+graham.bloice=trihedral....@python.org> on behalf of Mark
Hammond <mhamm...@skippinet.com.au>
Sent: 30 March 2023 11:13
To: python-win32@python.org <python-win32@python.org>
Subject: [python-win32] Recommendations for releasing pywin32 without a local
windows device?

Hey all,

  I'm in the process of moving countries for a couple of years and for the
first time in - um - forever - will find myself without a physical Windows
machine. It seems unlikely I'll actually need one other than for pywin32 builds
and testing. My primary device will end up as an M2 macbook pro supplied by
work.

Options I see are:

* Lean into CI for releases - this is problematic because obscure html-help and
mapi/exchange sdks are needed, and manually testing stuff still happens - but
this might make sense for the longer term health of the project.

* VM on the macbook - but by all accounts, anything other than ARM doesn't
really work well on the M chips, and as above re the SDKs etc, I'm not sure an
ARM build environment will work in practice without losing functionality for
x86 builds.

* Buy an x86-64 laptop - $1k probably gets me something good enough if I'm
patient waiting for things to build.

* A hosted VPS.

The latter seems a bit easier and less things to carry around, but might
actually be more expensive over ~2 years and more of a PITA than a local
device. I've also no experience at all with this kind of environment.

Wondering what experience/anecdotes/thoughts y'all have for this?

Thanks,

Mark.