Some of those modules are actually used by pythonwin, particularly by pywin/scintilla - so while I agree the ability to update them is questionable, I don't think just killing the directory makes sense. Did you try to remove it? I'd be surprised if Pythonwin continues to work in that scenario.

I also don't see a huge maintenance cost nor must automated tooling churn - I haven't seen much in the way of external PRs touching this, nor have I personally touched these files recently - indeed most of the churn I see if from the *introduction* of such tooling, so one solution to that is probably to not try and introduce new tooling which touches or checks these files.

Cheers,

Mark

On 2024-01-12 12:50 p.m., Samuel Therrien wrote:
Hi!

I recently had to do a deep dive into https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/tree/main/Pythonwin/pywin/idle <https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/tree/main/Pythonwin/pywin/idle> as part of a previous PR. See comment: https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/pull/2102#discussion_r1380422005 <https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/pull/2102#discussion_r1380422005>

Of course it is extremely outdated, but I think the interesting part is that these IDLE modules are now part of the cpython repo (although most have been renamed over time), and some modules seem to not even be used as part of pythonwin.

I basically expect that none of this works at all today, especially given the minimum version requirement of Python 3.7-3.8. Is this worth keeping around at all?

 *
    Pythonwin will look for IDLE extensions first in this directory,
    then on the global sys.path.  Thus, if you have IDLE installed and
    run it from the CVS sources, you may remove most of the extensions
    from this directory, and the latest CVS version will then be used.

Could we just delete this entire folder instead, and update references, reducing further maintenance cost and automated tooling churn? Anything special I should look for in testing?
<https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/pull/2102#discussion_r1380422005>

Basic type-checking with mypy and pyright by Avasam · Pull Request #2102 · mhammond/pywin32 <https://github.com/mhammond/pywin32/pull/2102#discussion_r1380422005> This is the PR that finally makes basic type-checking validation of public methods possible, easing the addition of 3.7+ type annotations. In its current state, a lot of checks are disabled, and so...
github.com

//