I've been wondering, what's the state, intent, or policy on support for older
OSes? I haven't seen it be mentioned (for example on the readme), yet still see
a handle of areas of code referencing support for older OSes (XP, Vista, 7,
8.1, CE, ...), but also commits and PRs dropping support for them (at least
building with 8.1 SDKs is dropped).

I'd assume to be "whatever still has a non-EOL CPython version that can be
installed", but maybe not?

On a technical level, I'm also wondering if winxpgui and winxptheme actually
serve any purpose anymore?

  *
winxpgui seems to be some patched-up win32gui for XP?
  *
I'm not sure what winxptheme is exactly. I'm not able to do much with it. I
guess "the Windows XP 'theme' API" is some old Windows stuff that never quite
went away in the background.

As for Internet Explorer, technically there's a mode in Edge to allow some
sites to run pages in "IE mode" (that thing really won't die, will it?), but
that's still through the Edge application.
The iebutton and ietoolbar demos technically do install an addon that I can see
and enable in "Internet Settings", but idk if they can really do anything (and
as such, if the demos are still valid).