I dont think its an across the board one way or the other answer.
The maya api classes are all wrappers around C++ code, so they should be
pretty fast, whereas not every python standard library module is a C
extension. You can do case-by-case time tests if you want, but if the maya
api provides the functionality you can probably be sure its at least AS
fast. Unless their C code is not as optimized as the python C extension.