Though I am not sure exactly why, it is this line in the activation script
that is hanging up maya:
site.addsitedir(site_packages)

I have not tried using a virtualenv with maya before. Its a lot easier to
just update the PYTHONPATH from the Maya.env, or, update the sys.path from
the userSetup.py

At our studio we just use git repos in a facility network location, and
then point our userSetup.py files at that location. Using pip locally just
for distributing your maya modules seems like overkill to me, but thats
just my opinion and I could be completely wrong. With git, you can pull
your updates at any time, tag, branch, and have a great deal of control
over the package location.

Do you have some specialized need that makes a local setuptools approach
more appealing than a repo?