Have a look at the polyListComponentConversion
<http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Maya-Tech-Docs/CommandsPython/polyListComponentConversion.html>
command.

It’s great that you post example code.

Example code make it crystal clear what it is you’re looking for. But what
would make it even better, is if your example code would run.

I was about to type up an example for you, but it’s difficult when your
example code doesn’t run. It would make helping you a lot easier if your
code would work; that means I can paste it in and be exactly where you are.
>From there, helping you means filling in the blanks. Those are my favourite
questions. Good for you, good for me. Win-win.

To work, your code would need (1) an import statement, (2) all nodes you
referenced (e.g. finger) and (3) somehow illustrate the problem. Most of
the time, this means the example would get longer; but it doesn’t have to
be. The finger variable could be perhaps just a polyCube of a certain
length. and your curves could be simple two-point curve nodes. Whatever
helps illustrate the problem, so that you can then apply it to your real
code.
​

On 16 October 2016 at 22:31, <s...@weacceptyou.com> wrote:

> hello,
>
> i have some code that finds the point on a curve closest to another curve:
>
> crv1 = pm.PyNode(finger + 'Centre')
> crv2 = pm.PyNode(finger + 'Cross')
> loc = pm.createNode('locator')
> locTransform = loc.getParent()
>
> loc.setParent(crv2, s=True, r=True)
> pm.delete(locTransform)
> cpoc = pm.createNode('nearestPointOnCurve')
>
> # connect ep[1] to locator local position
> pm.connectAttr(crv2.editPoints[1], loc.localPosition, f=True)
> crv1.worldSpace[0] >> cpoc.inputCurve
> loc.worldPosition[0] >> cpoc.inPosition
>
> vec_target = cpoc.position.get()
>
> the result of this is the location in 3d space of the point on one curve
> closest to the other curve.
>
> what i want to know is how can i insert a knot on the other curve based on
> this point now found in 3d space. I needs to somehow be converted to a .u[]
> parameter value so it can be used in the insertKnotCurve command
>

> thanks,
> Sam
>
> --

*Marcus Ottosson*