does anyone know if it's possible to find a bone from a mesh vertex in
python?

I've found links to code for finding the polygons effected from a bone
http://polycount.com/discussion/140109/melscript-python-selecting-influenced-polygons-from-a-joint

but I'm having trouble finding the right command in reverse
maybe getting a list of bones affecting one vertex, or the bone with the
most weight

any help would be great
thanks!