In the code in your original post, set_selection sets the view's selection
based on indices from the model. As far as I can tell, you will need to
populate the model and connect it to the view before you do that. I would
expect set_selection to be called after all other setup is complete except
perhaps for signal connections.

The code in your pastebin is very different from the code above though, so
maybe this is irrelevant now?