Just one more note on this. Having tinkered a little with ppygui, I decided
that although it is a very fine package, it would not really help with what
I am aiming for - mainly because it is event based, whereas pygame apps
would tend to need 'real-time' interaction, rather than waiting for the user
to press something. If someone knows where/how I would put a main loop into
a ppygui app then let me know.

I did find that adding the lines:

   import _pcceshell_support
   _pcceshell_support.Busy(0)

worked like a dream! No more hourglass/busy indicator/color wheel or
whatever it's called (not knowing makes it harder to google). So thanks to
Christopher for that tip.

Adam.