Sounds like this might be dns related.  If the server is doing reverse
lookups (and subsequent timeouts) for every incoming connection it can
be quite slow.  You might want to add local entries the registry on
the ipaq for hostname lookups.  Windows mobile/ce doesn't have an
/etc/hosts file, but it does support an equiv feature in the registry.

There was a tool I used to have and I thought it was call ceHosts to
update entries, but I'm not finding it in a quick google search.  I
did however find a link to a tip on updating the registry directly

http://windowsmobilepro.blogspot.com/2006/04/etchosts-file-equivalent-in-windows.html

Obviously, the same should be done on the server to ensure ip lookups
on your ipaq device are fast as well.  Even if you're connecting by ip
address, the client or server in a tcpip environment may do a reverse
lookup on connections.

Cheers,
Warren