Hello:

I am new to Python and even newer to PythonCE. Here are a couple of relatively elementary questions.

I found what looks to be the newest download called pythoncesetup.exe. It ran on my PC under Windows XP and upon finishing says it will install PythonCE the next time I attach my PDA. Is this done somehow through ActiveSync?

I tried running pythoncesetup.exe on my PDA directly using a thumb drive. I got an error that the program was not a valid win32 application. Is this expected behavior?

On the Python wikki, I found a lot of files that seem to be a smartphone application. Is PythonCE only for smartphones? What about Symbian phones or the Google phone and droids?

Right now, I'm mostly learning Python using the ActiveState Python 2.6 on a PC running XP and Ubuntu Linux. My longer term objectives are to:

Create stand-alone applications on mobile phones that allow blind, visually impaired and numeracy impaired people to gather data from medical equipment and have it spoken from their cell phones or PDAs

     Explore the use of PythonCE on a braille PDA running Windows CE 6.

Do these seem like reasonable objectives?

I have experience programming in Java and C, assisted in the implementation of the FORTH language on a braille-based PDA, so am not a complete stranger to this work.

Any advice, particularly pointers to documentation, would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

Christopher Gray, President
Bay Area Digital

Promoting good health with innovative technology and superior health products

870 Market Street, #653
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone:  (415) 217-6667
fax:    (415) 962-2520