On 13 Oct, 2010,at 04:44 PM, Erik van Blokland <e...@letterror.com> wrote:

Hi,

This question is about issues with Twisted on OSX. It might be too twistd specific, the issue has popped up in other OSX 10.6 / python contexts. So I will give it a shot.

Last year I struggled with crashes in a process using twisted.web, Quartz and OSX 10.6:

Taking a fresh look (and some excellent help from a friend) I've managed to remove Quartz from the suspect list. The daemonising function in twisted calls fork(), but not exec(), similar to this bug:
http://bugs.python.org/issue7895

The
USING_FORK_WITHOUT_EXEC_IS_NOT_SUPPORTED_BY_FILE_MANAGER
flag shows up in crash reports.

- Has anyone seen this specific problem with Twisted and 10.6?
- What are the best practices for dealing with this issue?
- Take it to the twisted list after all?
- Any pointers welcome!

The relevant code in twisted: _twistd_unix.py (in /twisted/scripts/). exec() - where? how?

Some code before the call to daemonize calls a Cocoa/Carbon API that triggers this.  Which version of python are you using?

A script that displays the problem would be nice, that would make it a lot easier to hunt down the problem and find a solution.

Ronald