Hi,
I usually manage to solve my problems by hitting my head against them until
I get a breakthrough. This time nothing.
I am new to trying PYUSB. I have the same problem with 2 installations.
1) Ubuntu Mate 16.04 on Kernel Linux 4.15.0-43-generic x86_64running on AMD
Ryzen 5 2600X
2) Raspbian (Jessie) on Raspberry Pi 3B+

Also I confirm that libusb-1.0-0 <https://pkgs.org/download/libusb-1.0-0>
is there on both.

After installation I started the tutorial (why not?) but did not get far:

import usb.core
import usb.util

dev = usb.core.find(idVendor=0x1d6b, idProduct=0x0003)
print(dev)
 *OK so far and I get:*

*================== RESTART: /home/wilson/temPY/USBtest01.py
==================DEVICE ID 1d6b:0003 on Bus 004 Address 001
================= bLength                :   0x12 (18
bytes) bDescriptorType        :    0x1 Device bcdUSB                 :
0x300 USB 3.0 bDeviceClass           :    0x9 Hub bDeviceSubClass
:    0x0 bDeviceProtocol        :    0x3 bMaxPacketSize0        :    0x9 (9
bytes) idVendor               : 0x1d6b idProduct              :
0x0003 bcdDevice              :  0x415 Device 4.15 iManufacturer
:    0x3 Error Accessing String iProduct               :    0x2 Error
Accessing String iSerialNumber          :    0x1 Error Accessing
String bNumConfigurations     :    0x1  CONFIGURATION 1: 0 mA
====================================   bLength              :    0x9 (9
bytes)   bDescriptorType      :    0x2 Configuration   wTotalLength
:   0x1f (31 bytes)   bNumInterfaces       :    0x1   bConfigurationValue
:    0x1   iConfiguration       :    0x0    bmAttributes         :   0xe0
Self Powered, Remote Wakeup   bMaxPower            :    0x0 (0 mA)
INTERFACE 0: Hub =======================================
bLength            :    0x9 (9 bytes)     bDescriptorType    :    0x4
Interface     bInterfaceNumber   :    0x0     bAlternateSetting  :
0x0     bNumEndpoints      :    0x1     bInterfaceClass    :    0x9 Hub
bInterfaceSubClass :    0x0     bInterfaceProtocol :    0x0
iInterface         :    0x0       ENDPOINT 0x81: Interrupt IN
==========================       bLength          :    0x7 (7 bytes)
bDescriptorType  :    0x5 Endpoint       bEndpointAddress :   0x81 IN
bmAttributes     :    0x3 Interrupt       wMaxPacketSize   :    0x4 (4
bytes)       bInterval        :    0xc*

which tells me that pyusb is installed and is finding USB.core and seems to
be working.
When I take the next step in the tutorial:
dev.set_configuration()

it all turns to custard and I get:

raceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/wilson/temPY/USBtest01.py", line 11, in <module>
    dev.set_configuration()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/usb/core.py", line 799, in
set_configuration
    self._ctx.managed_set_configuration(self, configuration)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/usb/core.py", line 127, in
managed_set_configuration
    self.managed_open()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/usb/core.py", line 105, in
managed_open
    self.handle = self.backend.open_device(self.dev)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py", line 722,
in open_device
    return _DeviceHandle(dev)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py", line 600,
in __init__
    _check(_lib.libusb_open(self.devid, byref(self.handle)))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb1.py", line 552,
in _check
    raise USBError(_strerror(ret), ret, _libusb_errno[ret])
usb.core.USBError: [Errno 13] Access denied (insufficient permissions)

This on the AMD system, the diagnostic on the Raspi is similar but not
identical.

I have worked through the other similar postings on the mailing list -
while similar their problems were at a more complex level --- I am at step
1 with the tutorial ...
I have also worked through the occurrences of set_configuration() in the
...usb/core.py module and could see no reason for dev.set_configuration()
to bomb-out.

I have racked my brains and consulted my local gurus with no joy .... so
any help would be appreciated - I have a feeling it is something dumb that
I have missed.

Cheers
Charles