On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:11 AM charles wilson wrote:
> Looks we are the same page ... yes I will tidy up permissions later ... and
> the issue relates to the python version. I downloaded pyusb not python-usb"or
> "python3-usb.

Unless you know exactly what you are doing, or really need a newer
version than what your Debian distribution offers, I would heartily
recommended that you as much as possible only install the Debian
packages from the system repository, "python-usb" and "python3-usb".
These are not "pip" module names! Then remove the modules that you
installed with pip (pyusb).

The mix of system-provided modules and pip-installed modules can
quickly get out of control. The Debian packaging system is much more
robust than pip, whereas the pip packages can be much more up to date
(and thus unstable).

Tormod