On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Alena Cherkashina
<margo.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to introduce myself in order to participate in Open Office
> volunteer project.
> My name is Alena, I live in California.  I got recently involved in the
> Software Quality Assurance carrier and currently I'm taking classes in SQA.

Hello Alena -- Welcome to the Apache OpenOffice project and our QA team!

>  I use Open Office in my everyday life and school projects and looking
> forward to apply my knowledge and skills in  testing this application which
> I like a lot! I have already a good experience in testing WEB and Mobile
> applications.

Cool.  AOO is a more traditional desktop application, but the SQA
techniques are similar, at least the methodology part.  Our aim is to
improve the quality of the product by identifying defects and bringing
them to the attention of the developers.

>  I would be happy to help as a tester and get some valuable experience. I
> could be helpful with manual testing, fix verifications, and localisation
> testing as well. I am fluent in Russian , french and English.

Excellent.  We have a webpage with useful information for new volunteers here:

http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-qa.html

That will answer some common questions and orient you to what we're
working on.  It will also get you set up with an account on our
Bugzilla bug tracking system.

You might want to also review some of the other orientation modules
linked to from this page, for background about the project, Apache,
how we work and make decisions:
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html

Finally, you'll want to add an entry to the table on this wiki page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/QA+Testing+Preferences

Once you've done the above let me know and I can send you some
user-submitted bug reports to review and attempt to confirm.  We're
working on the backlog of user reports right now.  But in a couple of
weeks we'll also start testing pre-release versions of Apache
OpenOffice 4.0.

If you have any questions, post a note to the list and I, or another
volunteer, will respond.

Again, welcome, and thanks for volunteering!

-Rob