On Thu, Nov 18, 2021 at 1:46 AM Gerd Hoffmann <kra...@redhat.com> wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> > - Split python/qemu/qmp out into its own repository and begin uploading
> it
> > to PyPI, as a test. (Do not delete python/qemu/qmp yet at this phase.)
>
> I think you can do that as two separate steps.
>
> pip can install from vcs too, i.e. when splitted to a separate repo but
> not yet uploaded to pypi you can simply drop something like ...
>
>         git+https://gitlab.com/qemu/qemu-python.git@master
>
> ... into pip-requirements.txt.  That way you can easily test things
> before actually uploading to pypi.

Indeed - a limitation here however is that pip will not install from this
source unless explicitly asked to, so you couldn't use this package as a
requirement for another one, for example -- but it works as a testing step.
but that's the rough outline of where I am headed and what I think needs to
be done to get there. It's just taking me a while to get everything put in
order exactly the right way to be able to flip the switch. Hopefully soon,
though.

I realized when re-reading my mails last night that I said I wouldn't be
able to do it until "next release" but what I really meant was "until the
next development window".

--js