---- Paul Brook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 25 May 2006 14:16, Ben Taylor wrote:
> > The question came up a little while back about getting Solaris (Sparc) to
> > boot in qemu under qemu-system-sparc.
> >
> > I did a little work yesterday to find out that the boot process in
> > hw/sun4m.c is really kind of hard wired for a linux boot.   If there is no
> > kernel or initrd, it drops right through. In reality, if those variables
> > aren't set, and the boot device is cdrom, shouldn't there be some code to
> > load the boot block in slice 3 of the cd/dvd?  At worst case, it seems that
> > we could probably extract the boot block and force qemu to load that with
> > the hope of getting a solaris/sparc on qemu started, since slice 1 of the
> > cd/dvd is the kernel and root directory structure.  Slice 0 is the install
> > media.
> >
> > Ideas?  I'm neck deep in the pool and have no idea where to start.
>
> Real sun SPARC systems use an OpenFirmware (aka OpenBoot) based system.

Right.

> http://www.openbios.org/ indicates there is a qemu/sparc port in progress.

well, interestingly enough, trying to boot a Solaris 10U1 sparc cd with
qemu-system-sparc (32-bit) comes up and says this hw is not supported.
So the boot block appears to be getting read.

I tried configuring with --target-list=sparc64-softmmu, but got an error when I
tried to run it, saying:

 /tmp/qemu5/share/qemu/proll-sparc64.elf: No such file or directory
qemu: could not load prom '/tmp/qemu5/share/qemu/proll-sparc64.bin'

attempting to copy the proll.elf to proll-sparc64.elf ended up in a core dump
with this message to start:

 fatal: Trap 0x0010 while trap level is MAXTL, Error state

I wouldn't have thought that the proll would have needed to be 64-bit.
is this just a feature of the sparc64 code not getting too much exercise?

I'll try somore more tests with earlier versions of Solaris and the sparc32
module.

Ben