On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 at 16:03, Michael Tokarev <m...@tls.msk.ru> wrote:

> 26.03.2024 18:58, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé:
>
> >> This is not enough.  This step is good already, but it lacks default
> >> machine
> >> type selection.  In debian we carry a tiny patch to make microvm the
> >> default
> >> machine type or else it crashes at startup not finding "pc" machine or one
> >> of its required devices.
> >
> > No crash here, what is your base commit?
> >
> > ./qemu-system-x86_64
> > qemu-system-x86_64: No machine specified, and there is no default
> > Use -machine help to list supported machines
>
> Well, this is definitely better than a crash.  I haven't looked at that for
> a long time, initially it just crashed.
>
> Still, this current behavior isn't nice, - in my opinion it should select
> microvm by default in this case.

I disagree. We shouldn't present users with a situation
where qemu-system-x86_64 binary A has a default of "pc" and
qemu-system-x86_64 binary B has a default of "microvm", just
because of the way they happened to be compiled. That seems
liable to lead to confusion. (In general I think that default
machine types are not a great piece of UI which we mostly have
for historical reasons and because all x86 machines look
very similar.)

-- PMM