On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 19:01:50 +0300
Michael Tokarev <m...@tls.msk.ru> wrote:

> 26.03.2024 18:58, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé:
>
> >> This is not enough.  This step is good already, but it lacks default
> >> machine
> >> type selection.  In debian we carry a tiny patch to make microvm the
> >> default
> >> machine type or else it crashes at startup not finding "pc" machine or one
> >> of its required devices.
> >
> > No crash here, what is your base commit?
> >
> > ./qemu-system-x86_64
> > qemu-system-x86_64: No machine specified, and there is no default
> > Use -machine help to list supported machines
>
> Well, this is definitely better than a crash.  I haven't looked at that for
> a long time, initially it just crashed.
>
> Still, this current behavior isn't nice, - in my opinion it should select
> microvm by default in this case.

In arm we also don't have default => consensus was to let user pick poison
explicitly.
Would've don the same for x86 modulo that would break user's scripts
expecting default machine.

If it's something new like microvm, I wouldn't set default machine
that way there won't expectations and won't be a discussion in future
when new shiny not-microvm is around and one want's to ship both
(like we had with pc vs q35).