On 24 May 2013 09:02, Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Il 23/05/2013 20:04, Peter Maydell ha scritto:
>> Shouldn't we be calling the MemoryRegionOps
>> accepts() callback here? What about access alignment constraints
>> and access size restrictions?
>
> Yes, we should.
>
>> What if the validity of the range
>> changes between the time you asked and when you actually do the
>> access?
>
> If that's a concern, you shouldn't use this API, you should just do the
> access and rely on the return value of address_space_rw & friends.

So when *is* it a good idea to use this API? In real
hardware you don't usually get a "tell me whether this
access would succeed if I did it" bus operation -- you
just do the operation and the memory transaction either
succeeds or it doesn't. Are we modelling something that
really exists in hardware on spapr here?

thanks
-- PMM