On 1 December 2016 at 11:54, Liviu Ionescu <i...@livius.net> wrote:

>> On 1 Dec 2016, at 10:50, Paolo Bonzini <pbonz...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But why only linux-user and not full system emulation too?
>>
>> It would simplify the library.  The front-end and helpers have some
>> differences
>> between usermode and softmmu, and the latter is much more intertwined with
>> the rest of the QEMU infrastructure (MMU indices, limits on multi-page
>> translations, etc.)
>
> hmmm... isn't it possible to split somehow the QEMU infrastructure from the
> ARM TCG?

Possible, certainly. Simple? That's a different question :-)

In general I would favour trying to clean up QEMU's code so
that it is less interdependent (which would make it I think
easier to maintain and test, as well as potentially easier
to use in other contexts); but I think we need to try to tackle
that gradually and doing the easier bits of disentangling first.

thanks
-- PMM