On Wed, 14 Feb 2018 10:05:24 +0100
Thomas Huth <th...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 14.02.2018 01:11, Michael Roth wrote:

> > +## enabling mitigations for s390 KVM guests
> > +
> > +For s390 guests there are 2 CPU options relating to Spectre/Meltdown:
> > +
> > +* bpb: Branch prediction blocking
> > +* ppa15: PPA15 is installed
> > +
> > +**bpb** requires a host kernel patched with:
> > +
> > +    commit 35b3fde6203b932b2b1a5b53b3d8808abc9c4f60
> > +    KVM: s390: wire up bpb feature
> > +
> > +and both **bpb** and **ppa15** require a firmware with the appropriate
> > support
> > +level as well as guest kernel patches to enable the functionality within
> > +guests. Please check with your distro/vendor to confirm.
> > +
> > +Both **bpb** and **ppa15** are enabled by default with newer/patched host
> > +kernels, and can also be set manually. For example:
> > +
> > +    qemu-system-s390x -M s390-ccw-virtio-2.11 ... \
> > +      -cpu zEC12,bpb=on,ppa15=on
>
> IIRC we only enable them by default with "-cpu host" ? Cornelia, David,
> Christian, can you confirm?

-cpu host enables them if present, as does specifying the full model
(which will fail if not present on the host).

> So maybe better rephrase the above to:
>
> Both **bpb** and **ppa15** are enabled by default when using "-cpu host"
> and when the host kernels supports these facilities. For other CPU

"and when both the host hardware and the host kernel supports..." ?

(Although that's still a bit misleading, as we only require the bpb KVM
interface; otherwise, the controls are pretty much independent from
what the host is doing IIUC.]