On 30/10/18 15:00, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 02:32:40PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
Hi Gerd,

On 30/10/18 12:13, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
Indicates support state for somerhing (device, backend, subsystem, ...)

"something"

Oops, I'll fix.

+##
+# @SupportState:
+#
+# Indicate Support level of qemu devices, backends, subsystems, ...
+#
+# Since: 3.2
+##
+{ 'enum': 'SupportState',
+  'data': [ 'unknown',

'unknown' is scary and should be fixed.

'unknown' maps to "0" due to being first in list, so this is what you
get when it isn't explicitly set to something else.  Which make sense
IMHO.

Yes, I understand in your next patch, this case won't display warning to the user.

I wanted to say "we should fix those entries in the MAINTAINERS file".

+            'supported',
+            'maintained',
+            'odd-fixes',

All those fit in 'supported'

+            'orphan',
+            'obsolete',
+            'deprecated' ] }

And all those should appear as 'deprecated' IMHO.

See minutes on deprecation discussion.  Seems there is agreement we
need something more finegrained than "supported" and "deprecated".

I read again the "Minutes of KVM Forum BoF on deprecating stuff" thread and don't find details on finegrains, can you point it to me?

I think these are fine in the MAINTAINERS entries, but don't give useful information to a QEMU user that is not custom to MAINTAINERS.

As a user I'd expect anything not "supported" to be eventually "deprecated".

Should we continue this discussion on the "Minutes of KVM Forum BoF on deprecating stuff" thread?

Thanks,

Phil.

cheers,
   Gerd