On Fri, 2018-11-16 at 13:01 +0800, Peter Xu wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 08:24:23PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > I'm coming to the game late...
> >
> > I run FreeBSD in qemu all the time, but I build images from source to test
> > the boot loader and it's all serial and my test scripts are tuned to that.
> > I rarely use the pre-built images, however.
> >
> > If there's ways that we can build images that work better than we're doing
> > right now to make the experience better, like making sure we enable the
> > dual console support for them... We're late in our release cycle, but if
> > what we need to change is what I think we need to change, we still have
> > time for it.
> >
> > In the mean time I'll read through wiki and see if there's anything
> > obviously wrong...
>
> I would guess there aren't many people like me to prefer booting a VM
> using console, though I agree that it'll be nice if we put something
> into the prebuilt images like what's suggested by Ilya (and so far I
> don't see anything bad with that):
>
>         [root@freebsd ~]# cat /boot/loader.conf
>         boot_multicons="YES"
>         boot_serial="YES"
>         comconsole_speed="115200"
>         console="comconsole,vidconsole"
>
> Anyway, thanks for your work on either the wiki or the images, they
> are really helpful to people like me.

We use the official qcow2 images for FreeBSD for libvirt/virt-tools
CI[1] and not having serial console/ssh access by default is a bit
annoying, as it requires the administrator/developer to log in using
the graphical console, configure the guest OS according to [2], run
an Ansible playbook which, among other things, will enable serial
console access[3], and finally remove the graphical console.

If official qcow2 images could have serial console access turned on
by default, that would make the process a lot more convenient for us.

Just another data point :)

[1] https://ci.centos.org/view/libvirt/
[2]
https://github.com/libvirt/libvirt-jenkins-ci/blob/master/guests/README.markdown#freebsd