On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:03:35AM +0100, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On 27/11/2020 19.46, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:

> >> We can still disable single jobs if they are not stable, but that's no
> >> reason to disable all of them by default, is it?

> >> That's independent from Avocado, you'll always have that problem if you
> >> want
> >> to test with external images, unless you mirror them into a repository on
> >> the same server (ie. gitlab), which, however, might not always be
> >> possible...

> >> And who do you think is going to set that variable? Hardly anybody, I
> >> guess.
> >
> > Does that mean nobody cares about these tests?
>
> It's like with all the other tests: Most of the people do not really care
> about them (if they are not the author of a test) unless the test fails
> during "make check" / the gating CI of Peter. So IMHO the right way to go is
> to finally get these in the gating CI, otherwise, if you now even disable
> them in the gitlab-CI by default, they will bitrot completely.

That people don't care, and ignore it until Peter hits the failure during
merge is a tragedy of the commons in itself.

I think we need to set expectations that caring about tests is a key part
of every contributor's responsibility, with subsystem maintainers leading
by example:

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-11/msg04897.html

We do need tests to be reliable though when we're treating them as gating.

Hiding unreliable tests behind an env variable you have to opt-in to
setting is not going to help that. IMHO unreliable tests should be
just disabled entirely. If someone genuinely does care about the test
then they can fix it and re-enable it at the same time.

Regards,
Daniel