On 30/03/21 09:13, Thomas Huth wrote:
Contributor Covenant 1.x is certainly an option, too, but it has IMHO already quite rigorous language ("Project maintainers have the [...] responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits ...", "Project maintainers who do not [...] enforce the Code of Conduct may be permanently removed from the project team."), which could either scare away people from taking maintainers responsibility or also could be used fire up arguments ("you are a maintainer, now according to the CoC you have to do this and that..."), which I'd rather like to avoid. (well, as you know, I'm not a native English speaker, so I might also have gotten that tone wrong, but that's the impression that I had after reading that text as non-native speaker).

I see your point. We also have the issue that mailing list archives are basically immutable and maintained on Savannah. It would be hard for anyone to remove problematic language in many cases.

My first review last night focused on the conflict resolution policy because I was obviously more familiar with it. I have now reread the code of conduct more closely and I like it, both the original and the small changes you made to the Django code of conduct.

I do have a couple remarks:

* like its ancestor, it is still erring on the opposite side by not identifying who is responsible for having a welcoming community, which goes beyond remediation. Maintainers do have _some_ responsibility in that respect, and it should be mentioned somewhere.

* this sentence could be seen as making QEMU responsible for acting based on what people say on Facebook or Twitter:

In addition, violations of this code outside these spaces may
+affect a person's ability to participate within them.

I don't want to open that can of worms; not now at least. The conflict resolution policy already calls out specific exceptions as a consequence of CoC violations, and I think that's enough.

As you're the one doing the work I don't want to impose my view, but I'd like to ask you to consider at least the following two changes:

* replace the above sentence with "This code of conduct also applies outside these spaces, when an individual acts as a representative or a member of the project or its community".

* in the paragraph after it ("If you believe someone is violating the code of conduct...") prepend the following text from the Contributor Covenant: "By adopting this Code of Conduct, project maintainers commit themselves to fairly and consistently applying these principles to every aspect of managing this project".

(On top of this the "When we disagree, try to understand why" bullet is somewhat redundant with both the conflict resolution policy and other parts of the code of conduct, and I like such documents to be as short as possible. But that's more cosmetic than normative, so it's not a big deal).

What do you think?

Thanks,

Paolo