On 2/16/22 08:19, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 07:37:40PM +0000, Joao Martins wrote:
>> On 2/15/22 09:53, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>>> What is missing:
>>>
>>>  * Some way for the firmware to get a phys-bits value it can actually
>>>    use.  One possible way would be to have a paravirtual bit somewhere
>>>    telling whenever host-phys-bits is enabled or not.
>>>
>> If we are not talking about *very old* processors... isn't what already
>> advertised in CPUID.80000008 EAX enough? That's the maxphysaddr width
>> on x86, which on qemu we do set it with the phys-bits value;
>
> Sigh.  Nope.  Did you read the complete reply?

Yes, I did.

What I overlooked was the emphasis you had on desktops (qemu default bigger than
host-advertised), where I am thinking mostly in servers.

> Problem is this is not reliable.  With host-phys-bits=off (default) qemu
> allows to set phys-bits to whatever value you want, including values
> larger than what the host actually supports.  Which renders
> CPUID.80000008.EAX unusable.

I am seeing from another angle, which the way to convey the phys-bits is
via this CPUID leaf is *maybe* enough (like real hardware). But we are setting
with a bigger value than we should have (or in other words ... not honoring
our physical boundary).

> To make things even worse:  The default
> value (phys-bits=40) is larger than what many intel boxes support.
>
> host-phys-bits=on fixes that.  It makes guest-phys-bits == host-phys-bits
> by default, and also enforces guest-phys-bits <= host-phys-bits.
> So with host-phys-bits=on the guest can actually use CPUID.80000008.EAX
> to figure how big the guest physical address space is.

Your 2 paragraphs sound like it's two different things, but +host-phys-bits
just sets CPUID.80000008.EAX with the host CPUID equivalent leaf/register
value. Which yes, it makes it reliable, but the way to convey is still the
same. That is regardless, of phys-bits=bogus-bigger-than-host-number,
host-phys-bits=on or host-phys-bits-limit=N.

> Problem is the guest doesn't know whenever host-phys-bits is enabled or
> not ...
>
> So the options to fix that are:
>
>   (1) Make the host-phys-bits option visible to the guest (as suggested
>       above), or
>   (2) Advertise a _reliable_ phys-bits value to the guest somehow.

What I am not enterily sure from (1) is the value on having a 'guest phys-bits'
and a 'host phys-bits' *exposed to the guest* when it seems we are picking the
wrong
value for guests. It seems unnecessary redirection (compared to real hw) unless
there's a use-case in keeping both that I am probably missing.

        Joao