On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 at 10:24, Sam Li <faithilike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Stefan Hajnoczi <stefa...@gmail.com> 于2023年8月23日周三 21:26写道:
> >
> > Hi Sam and Klaus,
> > Val is adding nvme-io_uring ZNS support to libblkio
> > (https://gitlab.com/libblkio/libblkio/-/merge_requests/221) and asked
> > how to test the size of the last zone when the namespace's total size
> > is not a multiple of the zone size.
>
> I think a zone report operation can do the trick. Given zone configs,
> the size of last zone should be [size - (nr_zones - 1) * zone_size].
> Reporting last zone on such devices tells whether the value is
> correct.

In nvme_ns_zoned_check_calc_geometry() the number of zones is rounded down:

  ns->num_zones = le64_to_cpu(ns->id_ns.nsze) / ns->zone_size;

Afterwards nsze is recalculated as follows:

  ns->id_ns.nsze = cpu_to_le64(ns->num_zones * ns->zone_size);

I interpret this to mean that when the namespace's total size is not a
multiple of the zone size, then the last part will be ignored and not
exposed as a zone.

> > My understanding is that the zoned storage model allows the last zone
> > to be smaller than the zone size in this case. However, the NVMe ZNS
> > emulation code in QEMU makes all zones a multiple of the zone size. I
> > think QEMU cannot be used for this test case at the moment.
> >
> > Are there any plans to allow the last zone to have a different size?
> > Maybe Sam's qcow2 work will allow this?
>
> Yes, the zone report in qcow2 allows smaller last zone.
> Please let me know if there is any problem.

Great. Val can try your qcow2 patches and see if that allows her to
test last zone size != zone_size.

Thanks,
Stefan