On Thu, January 12, 2017 14:33, A. Wan wrote:

> I am trying to install Windows 10 Home (USB edition) in QEMU
2.7.0.
> My machine (Intel NUC6i3SYH) boots UEFI from sda
then the host (based on
> Linux from Scratch 7.10) runs entirely
in memory.

> This was how
> I partitioned the
disk.

> sda1 EFI System Partition
> sda2
> Microsoft Reserved
> sda3 Microsoft Basic Data (WINDOWS)
> sda4
> Microsoft Basic Data (WIN_BACKUP)
> sda5
Linux filesystem

> sdc Windows 10 Home
USB

> I also downloaded the latest
> stable
virtio drivers (0.1.126)

> qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu
> core2duo -m 2G -L /usr/share/qemu -bios OVMF.fd -drive

file=/dev/sdc,media=cdrom,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio -drive

file=/dev/sda,media=disk,format=raw,cache=none,if=virtio -drive

file=/lfs/sources/virtio/virtio-win_amd64.vfd,format=raw,cache=none,readonly,if=floppy
> -vga std -enable-kvm -display vnc=:0
>
> I was
able to start
> Windows 10 Setup until the point where I was asked
to "Select the
> driver to install".
>
> I selected the Red Hat VirtIO SCSI
> Driver for Windows 10
but Setup gave me "no new device drivers
> found" and I
was back to the same screen.

"Browse" for device drivers again.  This time around I
> could even see my "WINDOWS" (C:) and
"WIN_BACKUP" (E:)
> drives in the browser.  I also
saw the Windows 10 USB (X:).

> I don't understand why
Setup didn't just let me install Windows 10 into
> one of drive C:
or E:?

> What am I missing?

Alex

What I saw in drive X: was NOT the Windows 10
as I thought.  It was probably some kind of
"initramfs".  Typical problem of installer having trouble
finding itself :(

I ended up copy the content of the USB to
WIN_BACKUP, relabel the partition to WINDOWS10.  Then Setup was able
to saw it.

What is the correct way of exposing the USB
controller to the VM while the VM also needs to boot from one of the
attached drive?

Alex