Glad to hear you guys will meet on the 2.0 release. In the hope it can help
your meeting, I'd like to share my 2 cents as a QGIS evangelist in
Southeast Asia. Note, I'm running on QGIS master, so the argument below
isn't out of self-interest ;o)

In the beginning of March 2013, Tim announced a proposed release schedule
over the mailing list [1] which stated June 7, 2012 as date of release.
Developers generally agreed around this schedule and process moved forward.
In the meantime, QGIS end users and evangelists who keep track of
development were left with a general sense of mid-2013 as QGIS 2.0 release,
with all its glorious new features and fixes.

When doing workshops, presentation on QGIS  and discussing about it, "by
end of June" was the best answer I - and surely many other QGIS evangelists
praising QGIS out there - could give to people both excited about what's
coming.

But more importantly, this was a tentative dates when technical limitations
and issues would be dealt with when planning forward. For e.g. in Southeast
Asia, the broken state of Unicode shapefile encoding in QGIS 1.8 got many
people to think twice about adoption. These issues were balanced out with
an estimated date of delivery for 2.0 and plans have been drawn for QGIS
adoptions in NGOs, ministries, public offices, etc.

And this brings us to now. It seems inevitable that QGIS will have to be
delayed. IMO, QGIS must insure the delay is as short as possible, to avoid
negative impact on current end users expecting new features and issues
fixed, as well as not being an obstacle to further adoption by missing an
important deadline.

Beyond the 80+ blockers currently listed, which could be dealt with in
relatively short amount of time and focus, a SIP upgrade proposal is the
other main "delayer". The argument for a delay to include the SIP upgrade
is that, since the needed new vector API broke the plugins, and the SIP
upgrade would also break plugins, the two should occur at the same time not
to piss off plugin developers with too many breakages along the line.
That's a valid argument, no question there, but shouldn’t be the only
weighting factor, nor should it open the door to an absence of hard
deadlines.

I feel that for the SIP upgrade to be considered so late in the release
process, it should be considered within _reasonable confines_ to avoid
un-managed, harmful delays. Ideally, something along the lines of "merged
by this coming Sunday or delayed to post 2.0". If the attempt at upgrading
SIP is turning out to be more complex and take longer than a hard
commit-to-master deadline, it IMO should be postponed on practical grounds
of avoiding impact on QGIS end users and adoption.

Alright, I don't claim having a perfect understanding of the bigger picture
at play here, and I'm not intimately familiar with the source code, so
disregard what's not proper. :) Still hope the above point of view, from a
person trying to push for more QGIS adoption, can be of help.

Regards

Mathieu

[1] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-developer/2013-March/024685.html