Hi Paolo and Jonathan,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

We should encourage plugin-authors to write a good get-started section in the description in their metadata. Or we could include yet another getstarted metadata section. I remember, I discussed another key "website" with Borys, which would be shown in a frame in the plugin description page. This could be used to show even pictures in a description. Or we could just embed the URL listed in homepage.

Why I think this is a better idea:

* E.g. The processing plugin creates a new menu, this would not fit into the previously described scheme. (But the scheme could be adapted to contain an array of menu entries) * Plugins can have more than one menu entry (Sending them back to the plugins menu would totally fail to fulfill the requirements listed by you) * Evenmore: There may as well be plugins with no menu entry at all. (E.g. You could write a plugin just to add new attribute editor fields)

Optimally we should have a good guideline where we can point people to. And the plugin builder plugin should already help people to get this done.

So I would not say "anything to fix that" is a good approach, but a well-designed solution will be very welcome.

The other (technical) option which I can think of would be to define "access rights" or "hooks" which a plugin can acquire in the metadata section and then the app will be delivered with these. So a plugin could acquire the "Register a new toplevel menu item" or the "Register a vector menu item" or the "Register a new attribute editor widget" or the "Register a new raster pipe function" hooks. Smartphones use something like this for their permission management. While this offers some advantages (you can exactly list, what the plugin will do) it seems a bit over-engineered for this problem IMHO. And it would require to rewrite all plugins :) Therefore my preference: Solve it with human sense instead of technique.

Cheers
Matthias