Hi,

Recently there was a discussion on IRC between NathanW and EvenR concerning SQLite's virtual table [1] I think this would be a (mighty) generic approach which could also serve this use case. I didn't give it much deeper thoughts yet, but I must admit it looks promising. Basically you just register a new table with SQLite and implement the backend for it. This gives you all the SQLite power (where we even have a driver for already) and therefore database goodies tailor suited to runtime-generated data.

I also had the idea of creating such tables on the fly for iterators spanning multiple tables (for JOIN support in queries. Providing a provider-independent highlevel query syntax like expressions). If we do this I would like to make sure that we have the possibility to get access to the parsed query before it is executed. This is necessary to be able to optimize the query for databases for which we have our own drivers and which support such operations natively (Think of a join of two possibly huge postgres tables: you don't want to join them locally). I haven't yet verified if this is possible or not, and can therefore not say if this approach fulfils the requirements.

There are python bindings available for virtual tables, so it may be possible to implement it this way [2] I think it would be good to gather some experience in this direction before implementing it in core. I am not even sure how it plays with SpatiaLite.

Best
Matthias

[1] https://www.sqlite.org/vtab.html
[2] http://apidoc.apsw.googlecode.com/hg/vtable.html