Hi

> On 28 Oct 2018, at 23:31, Nyall Dawson <nyall.daw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 01:22, Tim Sutton <t...@kartoza.com> wrote:
>
>> One (probably unpopular and definitely tedious if not impossible) option
>> might be for us to add an exception to the GPL license used for QGIS
>> allowing its distriibuton via app stores, get every committer who has code
>> in the current codebase to agree to the exception and build iOS packages off
>> that. Though that would still leave a large issue of the dependent libraries
>> that we use that are under GPL where the latter approach is even less
>> feasible. So while I am excited at the idea of running QGIS on my iPad /
>> iPhone I am wondering if this is a dead-end excursion in terms of making QGS
>> generally available on iOS?
>>

> This is opening a complete can of worms... but I've wondered for a
> while if we need to set up a contributor agreement which grants
> copyright of code to the QGIS organisation, so that we have the
> flexibility to relicense QGIS in future if (and ONLY IF!!)
> required***. Currently we are stuck with the GPLv2 or later license
> forever, but I can definitely see a time when we'd like to drop the
> "v2" and move to a pure "v3 or greater" license, or even relicense
> under something more permissive like the MIT license.
>
> I see this "stuck with the GPLv2 license FOREVER AND EVER" as a
> potential risk to the project. There's many other open source licenses
> to choose from, including some which MAY be much better to suited for
> the project. But I feel confident that with the right approach,
> careful wording, and legal fine print we could, at this stage of the
> project, get agreement from all current contributors to a copyright
> transfer agreement. So I'd like us to at least have a nice discussion
> about whether this is a good idea or not.

I’m also +1 on this approach (ceding copyright to QGIS.org for any incoming
commits). Bigger headache is trying to get all legacy code signed over to
QGIS.org. I would also prefer to go MIT or some liberal license. We would still
have the issue that all the dependencies we use have their own licenses….
Theoretically we could take a snapshot of the current master, and track down
only the committers that have touched that code rather than every historical
committer which might make the task marginally easier. Anyhow I guess we are
firmly in fantasy land here :-)

Regards

Tim

> Nyall
>
> *** Hey Trolly mcTrollface: I'm not ever saying QGIS should go closed
> source. Go take your annoying breed of community troublemaking
> elsewhere and let us keep this discussion civil and based on facts
> only.

—

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza