Hi,

thank you Tim for your testing, it is very much appreciated.

So I tested your installer and it works nicely! My main comments and
> questions are:
>
> 1) Extended support for GDAL plugins - William’s installer goes to lengths
> to install lots of nice gal plugins etc. Will you be following suite?

On my list to add as many plugins as possible. Best to add ticket in the
repository if you miss some particular plugins.

2) Code signing. The experience is somewhat reduced if the user has to
> create a security exception. There have been long discussions about this
> (see e.g.
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-psc/2015-October/003315.html).
> IIRC OSGEO has the cert that we could be signing with, it would be nice to
> have everything signed and instantly usable.

Definitely on plan, we have bought Apple certificate for Lutra and ordered
mac on cloud server, so next installer will be signed with our key for
beginning.

> 3) DMG versos PKG - did you bundle in a pkg just for the license / readme
> step? Otherwise not just share it in a dmg?

It is dmg. I used https://github.com/andreyvit/create-dmg.

4) The package is nice and small - I was quite pleasantly surprised because
> I think Larry had told me their experiments with creating an application
> bundle resulted in a ~1gb .dmg

I think that it is very likely that you may end up with multiple instances
of the same library on various places (e.g. QT). I tried to remove
duplicates and create symlinks.

> 5) Giving the app a versioned name e.g. QGIS3.4.0 would be nicer so we can
> drop different versions into our /Applications folder and switch between
> them as needed

Good idea.

> 6) The readme popup on installation doesn’t look too good in dark mode

Created ticket for it.

> I didn’t test lots of things like using the App bundle for python
> dependencies in my IDE/standalone python stuff, GRASS support etc. etc. but
> I will say that having an all in one application bundle is something I have
> long wished for, and if we could have a code signed app bundle it would
> make the general experience of drag and drop installation so nice and
> intuitive. That said I also love the application package approach from
> William with shared frameworks and all the little details he takes care of
> to make things ‘just work’ on MacOS - it would be great if you and William
> could work together to take things forward.

It would be great and I am very open to closer cooperation.

> On the technical side when you build the pkg did you end up doing it all
> as a make package step with CMAKE that grabs all the deps out of brew and
> drops them into the bundle then runs otool on them to fix the library paths
> or did you manage the process externally from CMAKE using e.g. a bash
> script?

I used homebrew for dependancies and build QGIS with it. To add Qt,
libraries, frameworks and python stuff, I used python script that can be
found here: https://github.com/lutraconsulting/qgis-mac-packager
This eventually could be ported back to CMAKE scripts if we decide to go
that way.

Regards,
Peter

Regards