On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 5:26 PM Peter Petrik <
peter.pet...@lutraconsulting.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we have been asked to create standalone QGIS package for MacOS. By
> standalone I mean that there will be a single package (.pkg) file that will
> be extracted to /Application folder and will contain all dependencies
> (GDAL, Python3, PyQT, Qt libraries, ...) and will be working without any
> additional installation steps (similar to any application you install via
> App Store).

Hello Peter,

Did you looked into otb packaging scripts[1]. We are providing standalone
binaries linux, windows and osx using them. It is true that python is not
packaged but I don't see this any blocking issue to include python. Incase
of OTB inclusion of python wasn't a requirement or priority for me. You can
rely on osgeo4mac or whatever rather than otb's superbuild setup. Packaging
scripts are mostly cmake and a small percentage of shell scripts.

HTH

[1] https://gitlab.orfeo-toolbox.org/orfeotoolbox/otb/tree/develop/Packaging

> As there is no such open-sourced solution I could use or enhance, I
> started some prototyping here:
> https://github.com/lutraconsulting/qgis-mac-packager . I hope I can wrap
> the last bits next week and be able to produce QGIS 3.4 release and QGIS
> master nightlies on some Mac Cloud server. I used osgeo4mac homebrew for
> dependencies, since it looks like it is the most maintained package manager
> with osgeo libraries for MacOS. Usage of Conda packages could be better,
> but the number of downloads and the activity in any available repositories
> is not convincing.
>
> The aim is to eventually have QGIS bundled and shipped similar to Linux
> and Windows. Once we finish the work, we will send an email to the PSC and
> see if this is something they'd be happy to bring it under their umbrella.
>
> I am open to any suggestions or cooperation for either packaging or
> distribution. Feel free to
> write me PM or reply here. Thanks
>
> Now its time to celebrate new QGIS release during weekend!
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
> Note: CMAKE scripts try to achieve similar tasks (qgis/mac/cmake/*.in).
> But it seems to me that only bundling of Qt libraries is actively
> maintained [QGIS_MACAPP_BUNDLE=1]and bundling of rest of libs (gdal,
> libzip, geos, etc.. ) [QGIS_MACAPP_BUNDLE=2 and 3] is not
> implemented/maintained. Also I am not convinced that CMake scripting
> language is best tool for such task. (due to reconfiguration on change,
> syntax/readability compared to python, tools available for path handling,
> ...)

Regards,
   Rashad