Hi Stephen,
you can import the textfile directly to QGis (layer-->add layer-->import
textfile). Afterwards you can save the layer as shapefile (layer-->save as)
(Shapefile is default).
The file should be like:

x,y
1,2
2,3
3,4

if you have other column names you have to set the correct column for
coordinates in the import dialog!

cheers

Stefan