I am trying to calculate the distance from points to vector lines.  There are
various ways of doing this when there are relatively few points and lines but
my datset has 200,000 points and a large network of vector lines and none of
the tools I have tried in qgis seem to get anywhere. I have also tried
converting the lines to raster but not clear what resolution to use and with
high resolution the problem also seems to be that it takes forever to do the
calculation.  If the tools gave an indication as to how long it is likely to
take that would be a help e.g. 12 hours but waiting 12 hours on the chance that
somethign might happen and still nothing is very frustrating.