Hi,
Have you tried the various tools in the pool processing toolbox?
Occasionally, these tools are much faster than the standard tools offered in
the Qgis vector menu. You could also try Grass or Saga directly. The later has
a smaller learning curve. Both are installed with Qgis.
You could try with a smaller dataset (like a 100 points and 100 lines) and test
the speed then select the fastest algorithms.  Patience could be necessary
for such data sets.
If you are good at Python, you are likely to get a faster answer using Fiona
and Shapely directly.
Good luck
Nicolas
On Jul 12, 2016 23:51, "Michael.Dodd [via OSGeo.org]"
<ml-node+s1560n5276061...@n6.nabble.com> wrote:

I am trying to calculate the distance from points to vector lines.  There are
various ways of doing this when there are relatively few points and lines but
my datset has 200,000 points and a large network of vector lines and none of
the tools I have tried
 in qgis seem to get anywhere. I have also tried converting the lines to raster
but not clear what resolution to use and with high resolution the problem also
seems to be that it takes forever to do the calculation.  If the tools gave an
indication as to how
 long it is likely to take that would be a help e.g. 12 hours but waiting 12
hours on the chance that somethign might happen and still nothing is very
frustrating.

                If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the
discussion below:

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/distance-of-point-to-line-for-large-dataset-tp5276061.html

                To start a new topic under Quantum GIS - User, email
ml-node+s1560n4125267h38@n6.nabble.com
                To unsubscribe from Quantum GIS - User, click here .
                NAML