Hi,
when you the click "Add vector" button, the file browser will first be defaulted to show all files in the folder. Once you change this in the drop-down at the bottom in "Files of type:" from "All files" to ESRI shapefiles", it will filter to show only .shp.
The dialog will remember this setting.

Cheers
Bernd