Hi Tyler,
You can try to use the Virtual Machine provided (link is in documentation ).

I tested the sample data and get database errors when try to insert values in spatial_ref_sys table. For solve this I used the Virtual Machine to do a data backup and restore it in my database.

Tudor Barascu has created another Virtual Machine including qgep and qwat data samples (qwat i another qgis solution for water management) and you can get links in qwat documentation