Hi

While we're usually working with a PostGIS database, for a specific project
we're thinking about connecting from QGIS to an Oracle Database this time. This
should basically be possible. However, our QGIS runs on Ubuntu 14.04, and it
seems that the Oracle client installation isn't quite straightforward on
Ubuntu. The instructions on e.g.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Oracle%20Instant%20Client suggest to convert
RPM packages from Oracle with alien, which I don't feel comfortable about for a
production system.

In order to get a feel if working this way is wise, I'd like to know if there
is anybody of you using QGIS with an Oracle client on Ubuntu in a production
environment? Do you consider it reasonable? Or would it be crazy to implement
such a setup? Does anybody know if there exist any original Ubuntu packages of
the Oracle client?

Thanks for your valuable input.

Andy