Reginald;
I am on 2.14.5 (thought I had also installed 2.16.x but I guess I skipped
it). The first thing I noticed is when opening the file my memory usage
doubled and qgis-ltr-bin.exe moved right to the top of the processes list.
I didn't get any hang-ups but I feel I may have gotten close. Did you try
using the clip function without adding the layers to the project? My
machine did the clip faster and the result didn't not come in sluggish and
I clipped it by about 1/3.
Tyler